When I first started on the orange and navy blue (I know it looks black but it really is navy blue) hunters star quilt, I didn’t actually know what pattern I was going to make. So I bought 4 yards of the colors I had chosen and figured I’d see how close I came on guessing correctly. This is for an x-long twin sized bed so I think 6 blocks across by 8 down should do it. I got to 2 blocks shy of 6 blocks down when I ran out of white fabric. I had ordered the fabric from Craftsy because they were the cheapest but when I went back to order more and that’s when I realized I didn’t have a SKU – just a description.
I did at least find the “bright white” fabric again, but if I need more orange or blue for the back of the quilt this could get really interesting!
This pattern is super easy using the Accuquilt die; the corners are all notched which makes it so simple to figure out what to sew where. I sew all the wings on first, press toward the darker color and then sew the triangle on. Since the triangle has a straight line, I had been sewing it with the triangle on top, like in the picture on the left/top shown here. But sometimes, even with pressing, the seam flips the wrong way and locked seams are what really makes the precise points in this quilt so that’s a problem if the seams don’t lay flat.
I finally had an “aha!” moment. Put the triangle on the bottom and then I can see the seams. So simple!
I had 5 and a half rows sewed on here when I took this picture but you get the general idea where this is headed. And the daughter told me an idea she has for the back which is perfect so now I know it will be just what she wants!
I now have 12 Lucy Boston blocks finished and I’m sewing on my 13th one now. I’ve looked at several online and it seems like 7 by 8 blocks is pretty common so I have a way to go. Oh and I did order the sashing fabric this week so I may work on that for a while and come back to the blocks so that I can start to see this take shape. I’m trying to get a variety of the type of blocks that the colors form so that they aren’t all the same.
And in the meantime….I’m back to finally quilting the stained glass quilt again! I need a fan in there – summer’s coming and that room gets warm!