Stitched through my fingernail!

Short post – I had finished the top and bottom borders and rotated the quilt 90 degrees.  I was basting the “new” top and just got my index finger too close when I was basting it.  The short story is I have a hole in my fingernail and pulled a thread out that got sewed through my fingernail in the process.  It’s on ice and I’ve taken 2 Aleve PMs.  I’ll spare you the details and photos! 😜
Channel locks – they are plastic rings that fit around the wheel to lock them in place.  If the machine can’t roll front and back, then it can only go left and right. And voila – a straight horizontal line!
–

37 Comments Add yours

1. kathyreeves says:

Hey dearie, how’s the recovery coming along? Hope things are OK in Texas?

2. lesleystorts says:

Awful! Sorry. I stitched right through my fingernail too with my domestic machine and could not sit down to sew for 2 weeks. I was really worried about infection but everything was ok. Hope you are better.

1. Wow, I wish we didn’t have that in common but it sounds like eventually you got back to sewing again as well. It was definitely something I won’t forget soon.

3. mary says:

Ouch. I have not done that on a log arm but I have done it once (alright maybe twice) on my regular sewing machine.

4. Natasha says:

Yikes! I am so afraid of doing that. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I am finally back to sewing – yay!

Liked by 1 person

5. Ouch! I am always afraid of doing that. Sounds pretty painful. I do hope that you are feeling better and are on the mend. Prayers for a quick recovery.

6. PaperPuff says:

Youch! Hope you recover quickly!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I’m on the mend again.

Liked by 1 person

7. Oh, your post has brought back painful memories that I won’t mention! Feel better soon!

Liked by 1 person

1. After hearing how many people have done this, I’m actually amazed I’ve never done this before!

8. MrsCraft says:

Ouch, hope you recover quickly.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I’m finally back to sewing again.

9. Deb says:

How’s the ouchy nail coming along? I ditto every ouch that was posted!!

Liked by 1 person

1. I’m finally up and at ’em again. Whew!

Liked by 1 person

10. So sorry to hear about your sewing wound. Many years ago when I worked at a sewing factory I sewed through my fingernail also. I jerked my finger out and broke the needle off in my nail. My supervisor told me to go to Larry, our machine mechanic, and he pulled the broken needle out with pliers. I was on production work so I went back to work. Now I would be down for a week. πŸ™‚ I also had a work related injury this week. I use Harbor Freight heavy duty magnets when I float my quilt top on my LA. When I was removing them I got the edge of my finger caught between the magnets, taking a hunk out of my finger. A few months ago it was my little finger nail….boy, I think we need workers comp insurance when we quilt.

1. Ouch, ouch, ouch! What amazed me was I didn’t even break the needle in all of that. In fact, since my machine sat there for almost a month I didn’t even think to change the needle before I started back up again. It was only after I’d finished the quilt that I realized I still had that same needle in the machine.

Liked by 1 person

11. I am not going to like your post because it is awful that it happened, but sounds like it could have had a much worse outcome. I keep wondering how long it is before this happens to me. My point of contact would be the king between my thumb and first finger as that is what nears it the most. May your pain be behind you!

1. It’s really made me realize just how close I do get my fingers to the hopping foot. I’m a lot more careful now!

12. norma says:

Ouch! Poor you!

Liked by 1 person

13. Unlike! I have done that myself and I feel your pain!

Liked by 1 person

1. Ouch! I wish I didn’t know so many people who’ve done this. I probably brought back bad memories for everyone.

14. admcmasters says:

Oh no! So sorry for the needle through the fingernail but better that than through the finger. I did the needle through the fingernail AND finger last year when I got too close to my machine while sewing. The tetanus shot was nearly as bad as the finger injury. Be careful.

1. In the end, that was exactly what happened to me. I think I didn’t even realize it at first but after I took the bandage off, I realized I also had a scab on the bottom of my finger. Let’s vow to not do this again.

15. Oh no! I wish I could say I have never done that, but I feel your pain!

1. I wish you hadn’t done it either!

16. slfinnell says:

EEK! That hurts! Healing wishes coming your way!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I’m finally back to sewing this week.

17. kathyreeves says:

If you have long beautiful fingernails, this could start a new fashion trend….pierced fingernails…you could change your look as they grow out. However, since Aleve PM was mentioned, I’ afraid your nails look closer to mine, and I don’t want to think about how that would feel….OOOWWW!!!! You poor dear, finger wounds are so painful.πŸ€•

18. Ow! Ow! Ow! I hope you feel better soon. Oh … ouch!

19. Oh my! I hope it heals fast.

20. Jill says:

Ouch! Hope it’s feeling better now. I have to say that when I read your title, I didn’t want to go any further in case you had a photo!!! LOL

1. Haha! No way! I tried to leave out most of the details so you didn’t have a mental photo of it either!

21. First thought: Ouch
    Second thought: Ouch
    Suggestion: don’t do that.

22. Amanda G says:

Been there, done that. Only difference, I broke the needle in my thumb. Sorry you had to feel the pain of it.