Whew! The ink is drying on my last paper for the semester. The last couple of weeks have been pretty intense but I had a surprise this evening as I was submitting my assignment. The summer session doesn’t start for another 2 weeks! I thought I only had a one week break.
I decided to take a break from that, and try an easier version of the machine embroidery. First of all, I skipped right past any idea of applique because that’s a whole different ball game. The good news is that during a visit to the store where I bought my machine, another customer suggested that an easy way to cut fabric with the Scan ‘n Cut is to iron it between 2 pieces of freezer paper, with the wax on each piece facing the fabric. I’ll have to give that a try when I get back to the medallion quilt.
In the meantime, I did a search on table runners since that’s typically a quick and easy project and found this one. It’s 6 different flowers which can be arranged in any fashion. I stitched out 3 copies of 5 of the patterns available, and 1 of the 6th pattern. These come in different sizes but this one is about 5″ or 7″ on point which is what I did. This one came out to 42″ long and 14″ across, give or take. The pattern calls for including batting in each block, so I needed to add that to the half square triangles on each side. I still don’t understand why that’s preferable rather than just adding a middle layer of batting so if there are any experienced machine embroiderers out there, feel free to let me know. It was fun and I have more confidence in machine embroidery now!