I had 2 goals this weekend. Either complete both “past due” blocks for the Splendid Sampler that I haven’t done yet, or finish one and the one for Sunday. Second, finish the machine quilting block – as in, quilt it. The final weekend score…. 0 out of 2. Oops.
I did however at least complete Sunday’s block, # 59. I didn’t get farther ahead, but I didn’t fall farther behind. Each of the Dresden templates could be cut out of a 2.5″ square and when I was picking through my box where I keep the fabric for this, I could where I had made a half square triangle at some point and not used it. So I threw it in here! I’m not sure why she set it up this way, but the top 5 horizontal strips were each 1.5″ and the last one was 2″. that means when it’s sewed to sashing, the top strip will be narrower than the 4 below it and the bottom one will be wider. That’s a long way of saying it’s supposed to look like that! Haha!
Regarding the machine quilting block, I’ve been making a concerted effort to try to visualize the pattern she has set for but not to copy it line for line. Angela Walters has a Craftsy class that does a great job of explaining “dot to dot quilting” and that’s the way I think about quilting – getting from here to there.
It’s not easy to see the blue center block here, but I did get that quilted and the 4 orange pieces. Other than the outside edges which are the same as the other blocks, that leaves me about half done. Oh and I did trim the previous 8 blocks and stitched close to the edge on each of them. I will probably end up using green, blue, orange, or a combination of those for the small strips that will connect the blocks. She has explained how to connect the “quilt as you go blocks” which I haven’t done before but I haven’t tried it yet.
I had an idea how today was going to go. I was going to take a break from the quilting and knock out one of those appliqued SS blocks. I had just printed out the patterns and the phone rang. It was my sister and she had been out of town for a number of days so we had some catching up to do.
I definitely can’t talk and draw templates and trace and cut out shapes and hold a phone at the same time. But I could cut out one or two pillowcases. We kept on talking so I cut out some more. We kept on talking – I cut out 10 more pillowcases until I ran out of pillowcases to cut! But we were still talking. I told her I was going to start sewing while we kept talking (she knew I had cut these out).
By now I had not only cut out the cuff, binding, and main piece of 10 pillowcases but I had pinned each of them together so I started chain stitching the cuffs on. I even got all of the cuffs pressed into place, which is an important part of the process.
I have doubles of 4 of these so you can’t really make out 10 of them. I was on the verge of sewing the side seam when my husband finally said something to the effect of “your ear is about to fall off” so I stopped before I start sewing the side seams. But seriously – there’re 5-10 minutes left on each of these and then I’ll have a dozen completed for Christmas presents.
I got stuff done this weekend in the way of sewing. Not what I had planned exactly but overall, I still made a lot of progress.