The letter carrier dropped off the mail just as we were headed out the door last night. What a surprise I had when I opened the package!
A couple of weeks ago I had a notification that I was the lucky recipient of Christmas ornaments from a blog that I follow. She asked me to send my address to her. And she lives across the pond! I love it that it doesn’t matter where we live, what time zone we’re in, etc. that we have something in common with pretty much everyone we come across in life whether in person or via the internet or otherwise.
There were 3 ornaments in the package. The first is the Noel bird that I have as the featured image on this post. Wow! Embroidery always seems to take a long time for me and the detail in that is just over the top! Do you see all the stars sewn in and the teeny tiny stitches around the bird’s body and for the eye?
Then the second one is just as beautiful with cathedral windows on it and a poinsettia in the middle. And the third one especially caught my eye because I made some of these when I was younger so it really brought back a lot of happy memories. I also really appreciated this one because I left mine at my mom’s home and she’s since moved so it’s as if they came full circle. Stunning!
Yesterday was a red letter day for getting awesome mail, because my Quilter’s Planner came in the mail. Yippee! I’ll be writing about this periodically as I use it more throughout the year.
I thought for now I would show you what’s included. The larger book is pretty large; I haven’t measured it but I’m saying maybe 9″ x 12″ or so? It’s glossy on the front and back (I should’ve taken the flash off). There are several stickers that say things like “birthday” “quilt guild meeting” and so forth. And then there’s a smaller version of the planner that I can throw in my purse if I’m headed out to buy materials and want to have my notes handy.
I sewed a couple of Bible sampler quilt blocks today and the inevitable happened. Epic fail! I saved this photo specifically as a square so you can get a sense of just how badly I accidentally trimmed it. I have a bad habit of taking the papers off before trimming which isn’t too bright and I hope I’ve learned my lesson from this one. Also, this one has a whopping 8 y-seams which are the bane of my existence. As you can see, I really didn’t hit one perfectly on both sides so this one was going to have been taken apart and hand sewn in the middle anyway.
I’ve had a lot of fun being a bit bold with some of the color combinations. One thing I learned from the Splendid Sampler is when you are working with 6″ blocks, and when there are a lot of them (SS has 100; this one has 96) you can have an individual block with colors that might not work as a single block set apart on its own but when you see it in the context of an entire quilt then it’s a lot easier to incorporate a lot more colors. This block is a great example. It starts with an orangeish-red in the middle, surrounded by a pale peach, then a rose-black then cream, then cherry red and finally back to the peach. Not a winning combination, right?
Now look at it in the overall layout. That block definitely stands out, but the color variances disappear. Oh and in case you noticed, yes I need to rotate one of the black/white blocks 90 degrees. My husband noticed that right after I took the photo. I’m glad he saw that before I got much farther!
I’m done with the second row on here (the first row shown has just 1 paper pieced block, surrounded by 2 setting blocks). The row after that needs a couple more then the row below that has one missing plus I need to replace that aforementioned blue one. I finally decided it makes more sense to complete the blocks row by row. The ones down below are ones I finished before I figured that out!
I forget when it was, but sometime last year I saw a deal for something crazy like 100 5″ batik squares of all different fabrics. It turns out those have been perfect for this quilt. I did have some fabric with up to 1/2 yard but there are a lot of little pieces cut from random fabrics in here already. And hopefully now you see why I quickly gave up on the idea of counting number of pieces in each block and keeping a running total – haha!