The king has been bound, washed, dried (in the beautiful Texas sun!) and I began the thread cutting process last night. I also finished the backing for my cathedral quilt that was put on the back burner earlier this year. If I can get Mr. Texas Quilting to lend his expertise, then I’ll have it basted tomorrow and ready for quilting.
In the meantime, the daughter had a request for a twin sized XL quilt. I gave her the choice of a log cabin or variation thereof, or hunter’s star since I have Accuquilt dies for both of those. She went for hunter’s star – fine by me. I just made a quick table runner using that in January so this should be easy peasy.
I ordered the fabric – I’ll use 3 colors instead of 2 – and realized after it was too late that I should’ve at least checked with my LQS to see what fabric options they had. I’d heard about a sale on Kona solids and grabbed it without thinking. Ack! I’ll make sure to get the backing from one of the local stores, and same if I end up using a border on it.
I’m not sure how others organize their projects but I like to use a planner not just for quilts but for work and life in general. I used a Franklin planner for years (then Franklin-Covey) and now I use their iPad app, Benjamin. I’m not so much about checking things off the list as I am about remembering what it is that I have planned in the first place! For instance, this doesn’t even have my red/black/white/grey fabric on here which means I need to update this.
For quilts that I’m working on my own – like the college quilt, I’ll itemize the individual steps in the process like pick pattern, buy fabric, cut, piece, baste, quilt, bind, etc. For the 3 sew-alongs that I’m doing, it varies based on how much organization I need for that specific project.
And in the meantime, it looks to be a beautiful weekend so I’ll probably be outside enjoying it and not inside at the sewing machine for much of the day!