I am officially finished with the Sergeant Pepper Christmas quilt! I sped through the binding – and yes, I did sew it by hand like I should have. I had thought I would do a binding like what I used for the 1″ strips between triangles but it didn’t go well with the fabric on the back.
I ended up using the same fabric as the back and it turned out okay. I skipped the little red binder clips. Is it just me, or do those things seem not very useful? I don’t have a big problem holding the binding in place with my hands as I’m moving along.
I have 3 quilts that if I can, I’d like to finish in time for Christmas. 2 of them are the same pattern and really easy – charm squares and 2″ sashing. Barring any big emergencies I could knock each of those out in a week.
The third one though, this one is going to take a while. I had seen this pattern on the cover of Fons & Porter’s magazine a couple of months ago and it really caught my eye. I thought initially that it matched what my niece wanted, based on what her mom was thinking. Turns out this was nothing at all like what she meant – haha!
I had already bought the fabric and so I thought I’d give it a go. It’s paper pieced but they’re nice big 12″ blocks – yay!The blue and purple are so close together in color – the purple is really purplish blue – that it loses the effect. I am debating if maybe I should replace the lighter green for something lighter to get more contrast there as well. They each need less than 2 yards each so it’s not a huge expenditure if I trade them out now when I’ve only finished one block. And I can always use the fabric I already bought with the machine quilting blocks so no loss there.
This one might end up as a pillow or a mini quilt.