I made the pattern following the original 64 blocks but I used 6″ blocks instead of 8″ with the idea that I will improvise the rest. I actually haven’t decided what the final size will be but I think I bought enough to make it around 90-95″ square.
I thought it might be a good idea to hold off sewing the rows together since I’ll also be adding probably another 4 rows/columns to even it out. This pattern is going really fast! The best part is that since the rest of the quilt will be whatever I throw up there – it’s guaranteed not to have any mistakes in it!
I’m not sure when exactly it will be starting, but Amy Ellis is hosting a monthly sew-along to make a sampler using various blocks from her new book http://www.shopmartingale.com/modern-heritage-quilts.html. I had an idea in my head what colors I wanted to use and I had some but not all of them. Lo and behold, a LQS posted photos of some Kaffe Fasset fabric they cut into layer cakes and I knew these would fit in with the quilt I had planned. This photo doesn’t do it justice, but you get the idea. At least I’m officially ready to go when it starts.