Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater. Well, kind of. I glue basted a bunch of hexies a few months ago and decided to make a Patchwork of the Crosses quilt instead. I can’t explain why, but the regular hexagons just don’t have that “wow” factor to me. I knew I wasn’t probably ever going to do anything with them, so when I saw the pattern today, I quickly measured them and sure enough – they were 1″ on each side, just like the pattern calls for.
Awesome! I normally wouldn’t put these colors together but I’m trying to get as much contrast as I can into each block and since I was starting off with pink for the petals, I needed something darker to set it off. And, I had just made one hexie with the darker color.
I realized the pattern pretty much didn’t go with the petals but I still needed to make the 3/4″ center hexie which would cover most of that up. All I needed to do for the seven 1″ petals was to pull out the cardboard that was in there, then iron it back into place.
I ironed a small piece of Heat ‘n Bond on the back of each petal to hold it into place long enough to sew it, then sewed around each petal with a blanket stitch.
I think the back side looks as neat as the front side, minus the color palette!