I no sooner said that I was going to finish block 38 and 39 before 40….when I changed my mind. I did some guessing on how much time it would take to complete each one and realized I had enough time to finish this one from start to finish. Something tells me tomorrow is going to end up being embroidery again since we’ve had patchwork, paper piecing and applique for the last 3.
I really appreciate having my Accuquilt Go for blocks like this. The pattern calls for 20 x 1.5″ light squares, then 8 x 2.5″ light squares and 2 x 2.5″ squares in 4 different colors. I have a variety of strip cutters, including a 1″, 1.5″, 2″, and 2.5″. I also have a couple that I use for larger borders when I’m trying to quickly add some length and width to a quilt.
They make 2 claims – quicker cuts and better accuracy. Sure, it doesn’t take much time to cut out that many blocks but to get them each cut to not just an accurate size but a precise 90 degree angle on every single side of every square can be a challenge. So I cut some strips, then I laid them perpendicular – it has the lines marked to make this easy, and one quick cut on the 1.5″ strip die and one quick cut on the 2.5″ die and voila! I had all the squares cut.
What never did make sense to me on this pattern is why we needed 2.5″ squares. The pattern calls to mark the quarter inch on each diagonal of the squares then sew a scant seam, cut between the 2 lines and then trim to 1.5″.
Maybe I’m just so used to the small blocks now, but with a full quarter inch extra to trim off of each half square triangle, my mind immediately went to “I could’ve cut smaller squares to trim up”. Actually, the truth is I prefer a general helping of extra wiggle room; several of these call for extremely precise, get it right the first time, piecing so this was a nice change of pace.
I sewed 2 and 2 together and 5 minutes later I had a finished block. Just kidding! Of course I had to not pay attention on one or two of them, and turned a couple of them around and made quick friends with the seam ripper.
But as I guessed, this block, even with a do-over, didn’t take very long. And it’s cute! I could see an entire quilt with this pattern although I think I’d be more inclined to use my 6.5″ square to make it go faster!
That’s 1 down and 2 to go. I have a couple of other things I’m working on so I may not rush through trying to catch up on the other 2 immediately, but my goal is to be caught up by Wednesday so I can be back on track again for Thursday’s block.