I really need to wash my cutting board! But not today. I really, really like how my little pincushion block came out. I don’t have any tiny buttons on hand so I’ll add the 2 straight pins to it the next time I’m at a store that sells buttons.
This is an appliqued block and I had already decided I would machine sew around the edges, which meant I would use Heat ‘n Bond on the back. Pat said the pattern was reversed – honestly, I didn’t even pay attention since it was fairly symmetrical anyway that it wouldn’t be a big deal if I got it reversed.
First step was cutting out the various pieces but since there are only 4 that didn’t take very long. I’ll just go ahead and say it – this was an easy block and I’m happy for it!
After I got the pieces cut out, I cut a piece of Heat ‘n Bond that was slightly larger than it and then laid it tacky side down on the wrong side of the fabric. I’ve definitely learned to count “1…2…3…” while applying heat with the iron and no more! I laid out the 2 pieces for the big tomato and applied the heat, then did the same with the 2 smaller ones. Then, I traced the pattern on the white side of the Heat ‘n Bond, which was still on the back side of the fabric and cut around each piece. Then I laid out the 2 big pieces where I wanted them to go on the big block and bonded them into place and then the same with the little strawberry.
I have some Sulky green thread that’s almost neon green. Doesn’t sound like a good match on paper but I had an idea that it would add just the right amount of contrast that I was looking for. I wanted it to stand out because I wanted it to really differentiate the green stem from the tomato and strawberry – and I think it worked!
I did a regular blanket stitch around each piece, starting at the top right on the tomato so that I would end up being able to stitch around the stem start to finish. And yes, I was supposed to do a satin stitch to attach the tomato to the strawberry, but I used a Micron pen, because I can!
I still have that basket of flowers block that I haven’t done yet. I’ve been busy sewing more of the connectors for the patchwork of the crosses, and I have also been quilting on the college quilt.