I had a vacation day scheduled for yesterday so I got a few things done around the house but mostly got some sewing done. The second clue for the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt was released; it’s one set of blocks per week and most years she has about 6-8 weeks. This week called for 100 3″ finished “triangle in a square” blocks. I made these in spades for the Christmas tree quilt. The key to these is to have a tiny triangle hang out at each end when you’re putting them together. I still had to take the first one apart this time but then it all came back to me.
Since it’s a mystery the layout won’t be revealed until the end but that doesn’t mean I can’t take a few guesses. These are typically used to make stars so if that’s the case, that would be 25 stars. 5 rows of 5 maybe? There are 221 blocks of the 4-patches and the only number that goes into that evenly is 13. In fact it’s 13 x 17 which on the surface sounds like an odd amount….unless you’ve ever made a quilt on point and then it makes perfect sense. my picture doesn’t have enough blocks, but on point would have an even number of blocks in one row followed by an odd number the next time – i.e., 6 and 7 (13) or 8 and 9 (17). This quilt also has mustard, dark purple, lavender and earthy green so this is obviously isn’t it but it might be the way these triangle in a square blocks lay out.
You can find links to other people working on this project at http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2016/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-2.html
I made more headway on the EPP block that I haven’t finished yet for the Splendid Sampler. This one is a challenge because I don’t have templates for most of these other than the 2″ finished half square triangles. This block is guaranteed to end up looking wonky!
We headed out of town to a college football game so I took it with me and got quite a bit done but it’s not finished yet. I still need to sew in the corner pieces. I’ve heard several people mention that they paper pieced this but I’m not able to picture that in its entirety. Maybe they are paper piecing the outer portions together and then hand stitching to the middle octagon? I’m not sure.
I bought a new spool of thread when I started the Libs Elliott quilt 7 weeks ago; I remember it because I had such a hard time trying to decide what color the thread should be since half was cream fabric and the other half were navy, dark grey, etc. I started that quilt out with the new spool of Aurifil thread and used it for Splendid Sampler blocks, Amy Ellis blocks, and about 300 blocks of the Bonnie Hunter quilt in those 7 weeks before I ran out yesterday.
Almost 2 months of sewing from one spool of thread sounds like a lot of thread!
I forgot to ever post a finished version of my bird from the other day. Now that I’m looking at it, I can see I missed a tiny triangle of neutral that I missed when I sewed it together. I need to get that fixed; it came out fine other than that. I was so glad that I paper pieced it; I think I finished it in about an hour or so but most importantly I know it looks a lot better, even with that one wonky corner, than it would have if I ha attempted to sew it accurately through patchwork.
My Libs quilt still hasn’t reached its final destination. It was originally supposed to be delivered Friday. Then today. My nephew will be getting it on Monday as it turns out.