Anybody want a cookie? Oh wait, that’s fabric on that cookie sheet. Never mind…
I’ve seen that suggested several times as a way to organize cut pieces of a block so they don’t fly off everywhere. That pan is probably from 1985 or so! I didn’t cut out all the pieces I need because, well, I don’t like to count all those pieces of fabric. So I cut a few, sew a few; cut a few, sew a few. I think I cut 30-40 of the orange and blue ones and double the white, which will come out to 15-20 blocks.
Even chain piecing those, I need a break after a while. I have the “wings” sewn on both sides of the first piece and will get that set ironed and at least started with sewing the large triangles on for the ones I have cut out so far.
The last picture is a visualization of the amount of waste I have left after cutting this out on the Accuquilt die. I cut the fabric 10″ long (selvedge facing me) and then cut 3.75″ pieces from the width of fabric. This takes a little longer because that gives me 1/8″ to 1/4″ leeway around each side but the upside is I use almost every scrap of fabric and get perfect cuts.
And, the leftover scrap on the right side in this photo is still plenty of fabric if you’re making Lucy Boston blocks, Splendid Sampler, 365 blocks, farmer’s wife or any other small blocks.
8 Comments Add yours
Very good idea! Scap reduction ideas are always welcome.
Thank! I’ve found out from the Splendid Sampler blocks that 6″ blocks of any kind are generally great for scrap busters.
What a good idea!
Ahhhh, now I see the orange and navy! Your ‘cookies’ look great!
Haha! Unfortunately, they don’t taste very good!
Okay, I did google baking fabric, maybe it was a shrinking thing or something. 🙂 And ’85 was a good year, don’t knock it!
How funny! I have boiled fabric before when I tie-dyed shirts…but that was even longer ago in the 70’s! ’85 was a pretty good year too!