Whew! I am way behind in blogging and in reading everyone else’s blogs. January is always a really busy month between birthdays, starting work again after the holidays and so forth.
I think I have all of the setting blocks sewn now for the Splendid Sampler layout. I’m ready to start moving blocks into real places but I think I’ll still wait until all the blocks are released to start sewing just so I can make sure I’m 100% sure on where I want each of the blocks to go. After all, I have plenty of other things to work on in the meantime!
And speaking of quilt tops, I did modify this after I took this photo but En Provence is officially loaded onto the long arm and I’ve even quilted a tiny amount on it. At some point once I’ve finished quilting it, I’ll post a final photo.
The finished size of the quilt is 87″ x 87″ but I wanted it a little larger than that since it’s just shy of what works well on a queen sized bed. So I added a 1″ finished strip in the magenta around the edges (so 2″ total in length and width) and then a 4 1/2″ in cream grunge fabric (so another 9″) which gets me to 98″ x 98″. I know how I’m quilting the edges but I haven’t 100% decided on the middle portion.
Linking back to Bonnie Hunter’s page at http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017/01/mystery-monday-link-up-part-6-7.html !
Somewhere in that picture of the Splendid Sampler photo is block 89 from last Thursday.
I took some liberties with how I put this block together but it doesn’t matter because it came out the same in the end. I used my AccuQuilt dies for it and since I have one for 1 1/2″ half square triangles I used that for the cream sections also instead of making flying geese like the instructions call for .
And…I realized that when I wrote out how much material I needed for the binding on En Provence, I accidentally wrote down that I needed 3 1/4 yards – for binding! And I didn’t catch that it really should’ve been just 3/4 of ONE yard. Oops!
25 Comments Add yours
Well done with the mystery quilt. It looks great, and i’ll be interested to see how you quilt it.
Thank you! I’m just getting started on it. I was worried about messing it up but I figured I’d go out on a limb with the FMQ and see if it works or not.
That binding amount is something I would do, also, and later totally wonder about where my mind was at!!!!! Love what you’re “up to” and can’t wait to see the finish!!!!!
It would’ve been one thing if I just said the wrong thing but I had it written down wrong. Sheesh!
Ummmmmmm……….guess the brain cells went on a momentary hiatus!!!!!
There are lovely.
I am in South Texas, what part of Texas are you in?
I’m close to Houston. If you ever follow the blog TreadleMusic, she spends her winters in south Texas – she’s there now. You two might be close to each other right now!
Your sampler quilt is interesting and sort of nudged me in that direction but part of me says, “Not yet!” Your version of En Provence is lovely and I, too, am contemplating adding to it for a larger size. But since my blocks are just now being assembled, I have some thinking time yet on how I want to do that. You have done a terrific job on both quilts. Way to go!
Thank you! I thought about making it 4×5 or 5×5 but by the time I got through 4×4….I was done!
I like always seeing what you’re working on. A great inspiration.
The splendid sampler setting looks amazing with your blocks! I wasn’t 100% with you until I could see it on the wall, but it really looks great!! Your en Provence is just beautiful, looking forward to seeing what you do with the quilting. And what do you think of block 90? Not my cup of tea, but I’m not subbing out anything at this point. 😊
Yeah, I was a bit “eh” on 90. I made it this evening. I didn’t follow her directions to the letter, but it does have 3 balls. It’s done as far as I’m concerned!
I’m going to use rickrack..saw it on Facebook, but my balls won’t have a pattern to match, I may work on it a bit tomorrow morning.
I thought about rickrack but I didn’t think it would lay flat if I was circling it around. I spent too much time thinking about that part of the block.
The rickrack worked pretty well even though it was a little wide, but I skimped on my 2″ ball fabric, so have resized to 1 3/4. I read the Lynette Anderson block this am, I love looking at her stuff, though it’s a little too busy to use a lot of in my house, (so I haven’t), but this block is so cute. I am trying to figure out how to juryrig those apliquick tools on her video. I’m sure I have something at home that will at least let me try the concept! 🙂
I need to go back and take a look at her website. I don’t have any of those tools. I ended up making one of the balls a different size also, just because I had a die that was within 1/4″ and figured that was close enough.
Your quilts are coming together wonderfully. They are going to be real beauties when completely finished. Block 89 looks good.
I like your setting blocks so well that I may just have to steal this idea for the splendid sampler. I know Bonnie Hunter teaches that setting block and makes it easy.
I haven’t seen that on Bonnie’s blog. I should go check it out; she usually has some great “how to” tips.