This block started off so well. I cut a 7″ square block in the neutral (fabric was a Christmas present!) and then ironed some Heat ‘N Bond to the back of 3 pieces of fabric. I used my circle dies to cut 3 perfectly perfect circles in 3 different sizes.
Then I used that Clover tool that makes the skinny little pieces and cut those into pieces for the 3 balls. I glue basted them into place on each circle. All I needed was the piece to connect the 3 balls. I ended up cutting 3 pieces of yarn – the idea was that before I ironed down each ball, I would tuck an end of the yarn under each ball so that the ends of each piece of yarn was hidden underneath. I actually even did that on the first ball. Then I forgot to do that on the 2nd ball. And the 3rd ball. So I did a whole buncha zigzagging to try to not make it so obvious that there’s an abrupt end to the yarn where the ball begins.
But I’m caught up for now! Speaking of being caught up, I also finished the blocks for month 4 of the Amy Ellis sew-along. If anyone has a website they can point me to which figures out the math for figuring out triangle sizes, feel free to pass it along. The squares are on point so that means they aren’t 3″ even, or 3 1/2″ even as an example – those are always odd sizes. The half square triangles that line the edges were tricky for me. I ended up cutting them a bit oversized to make sure I had enough for the seam allowance and then cut them down. Anyway, this is a scrappy quilt which hopefully explains the color options!
I’ve been s-l-o-w-l-y quilting En Provence. The good news is I have a plan! The short story is I have a series of patterns I’m repeating throughout all the cream sections to make the purple/green/yellow/magenta portions pop. I’ll find out when it’s done if it came out the way I planned it – haha!
15 Comments Add yours
I started laughing when you “forgot”. I do stuff like that ALL the time!!
Haha! Glad I’m not alone!
I just did a bunch of triangles….definitely cut them big and trim…..
I accidentally cut the first one entirely too big! I finally figured out what I was doing and did end up cutting them big and then trimming. Good idea!
LOL! Can totally relate to that “forgetting” part!!!!! I always cut my setting triangles oversized and trim!!!! Cutting ‘exact’ is not always the best idea for me!!!! Here’s one calc. link: http://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml
Thank you sooo much! I bookmarked that page!
It’s the one I kinda/mostly use if I don’t want to do the math!!! LOL!!!!
Haha! I *still* have that page opened on my browser!
I think this is one of the ways we learn – when we make mistakes and have to improvise. Good job.
That is so true. Thank you for the perspective!
There is a mathematical way to calculate the triangles. You need to add an extra 1/4″ x √2 to the square side length to adjust for the seam allowance, which works out to be just over 1/3″. In other words, it is not easy at all. I usually make squares that are 1/2″ bigger on the sides, and cut them down to fit after I have sewn them in. I don’t have a lovely accurate cutter, like you, so perhaps you can cut them to fit perfectly. Your blocks look lovely.
Thank you! I’m going to write that down!
All caught up! Good job!
I’m back to behind behind by a block since Thursday’s is embroidery – haha!