We are quickly rounding up the Bloom sew-along – just 2 more blocks to go! One thing I’ve learned along the way is less is more. I hate to think just how much glue is contained in those first few blocks. I was concerned at the time that the skinny stems wouldn’t stay in place if I didn’t douse them I guess!
I’ve also learned that newer definitely isn’t always better. The method I’ve been using to applique these is to sew the Pellon to the fabric, flip inside out and then hand applique. The sewing part is crucial, because if you don’t sew a straight stitch on the line it shows up in the detail. I very much prefer sewing these on my Featherweight. That machine is so quiet! But there’s something about it that just sews….better. How’s that for specific!
I’m sewing the outer corners on this Lucy Boston block and then I’ll be on to the lavender one. Any Bloom sewers will probably recognize that polka dotted fabric! I took the picture in artificial light so this doesn’t do it justice but I think it’s going to come out all right once I get the last 6 pieces sewn on.
I’m definitely not selling my Sweet Sixteen, but if you are ever in the market for a long arm or a mid arm, Long Arm University has a page on their site where individuals sell used machines.