The story of this block starts back in the first half of April. I had signed up for a workshop by Becky Goldsmith to learn about the value of color as it relates to the other colors around it. The class requirements were some grey fabric for the background, and a slew of different blue fabrics, cut into 1.5″ strips.
The rain came down and the flood went up a day or two before her arrival and the only way she would have made it in would have been by boat. Unfortunately, the workshop was cancelled. I have several projects going already, so while I might have made the pick-up sticks quilt on my own…I put that off for a slightly less rainy day. I am a “if you’re on time, you’re late” kind of person so I had already cut the fabric into strips the weekend before any of this happened.
I was thinking of that fabric when I saw that Christa Watson’s SS block was a heart. We’ve sewn 2 blocks previously with hearts and I was looking for something other than pink/rose/maroon for this one. Aha! How about that blue fabric I had stashed away?
I laid out the strips dark to light, and then as I sewed them together, I alternated the darkest fabric with the lightest fabric; then the 2nd darkest fabric with the 2nd lightest fabric and so on.
I had glue basted just about every single seam on Thursday’s paper doll dress pattern and started using glue on this one but didn’t need it as much because the pieces are larger. But there is a small area where I need to wipe the glue off.
I got lazy as you can see and I didn’t trim my selvedges first. I cut trimmed the block to 7″ just to give myself some extra space; hopefully that won’t show up when I end up sewing the blocks together later!
This one is quite a bit brighter than my other blocks, so I’ll probably want to pull in some of this fabric in small quantities for future blocks so that it blends in more than it does right now.
I like it though!