I’ve gone back and forth a few times about how to title these blocks. I think I’ve finally decided on BSQ (short for Bible sampler quilt) then the number it is in the book and then the name of the actual block. I’ve actually made more than what I’ve posted here so far – surprise, surprise – but I figure one per post is plenty anyway.
I thought at first I would quite frankly knock out all the easy ones first which is why I did this one so early. Then it crossed my mind, maybe that’s not such a great idea since I could end up with adjacent blocks that don’t blend well together. I’ve decided to do a modified version of that; I’ll do all the non-appliqued ones in each row and try to work my way down the rows in the order she has them in the book.
The paper pieced blocks aren’t set apart by sashing but instead by setting blocks. In other words, there are 12 x 6″ blocks across but only 6 of those are the paper pieced blocks. Every other block is made up of contrasting quarter square blocks. Every other row has these blocks rotated so it gives a great visual effect once about 3 rows are joined together. I am nowhere near that point though!
I have spent months and months trying to figure out how I’m going to lay out my Splendid Sampler blocks and finally decided this week I like this so much I’m going to do the same with it. That also means I’m going to end up with an enormous 120″ x 120″ sized quilt before a border. I found out from doing the Libs Elliott quilt that having a border really helps when it comes time to quilt it so I’ll at least put a 2″ border around the edge for a nice even finish. I already owned the Accuquilt die that makes 6″ quarter square blocks so this hopefully will go pretty quickly – at least as quickly as making 100 of them can go!