Feathers – complete!

20170411_115135Another crazy week in our house.  We found a crack in the shower in our bathroom and the short answer is that the best thing to do is to replace it.  We didn’t even get one with all the bells and whistles but home improvement is never cheap.  It will be 8-10 weeks before they’re ready to install it so you’ll probably hear about that in a couple of months – haha!

And my husband found out today that he has shingles.  He doesn’t even remember ever having the chicken pox as a child but apparently he did since he doesn’t fit the other risk categories for it.

20170411_111805That first photo is just a picture of one of the corners.  I decided to enhance the stems in certain areas to make it stand out a little bit.  I don’t think I took a picture of it, but the feathers on the large purple square, and the large white square, both have circles in the stem to make it about 1/4″ wide.  I thought it needed a little something .  I bought wide back fabric, 108″ wide, and I thought I also bought 108″ long – 3 yards – but when I got to the bottom,  it was short by just a few inches.  I don’t know if that’s obvious in this picture, but I had to order more backing fabric, take the quilt off the long arm, sew the additional piece to the bottom, load it back on the quilt and finish it.  Whew!  All that for what amounted to maybe 3 inches.

20170412_172236The feathers aren’t perfect – definitely a learning experience but I figured what better way to learn than to put them over most of the quilt?  I used a few different patterns in areas outside of the actual labyrinth pattern.  The quilting should have been quick but I decided to use a ruler and stitch in the ditch around every straight line and that’s just a slower process than free motion.

I keep meaning to draw out the steps that I use to quilt feathers.  It may not work for everyone and it’s probably the way a lot of people do it, but I think having a step-by-step helps sometimes.  Maybe I’ll get that done by the end of the week!  This one is for a birthday on May 10th.  I’m just glad I have it done so now I can focus 100% on my next quilt, which is going to be extra special.  This quilt pattern is called “Labyrinth” by Debbie Maddy for Calico Carriage Quilt Designs.

23 Comments Add yours

1. JudyGerald says:

What! I so terribly much love the purple one! It’s awesome.

2. Sandy says:

Your quilt has more purple than I’ve ever used in a quilt! It looks great! Sorry your husband has shingles. I hope he’s taking his medicine! I’ve had shingles twice—both times on my face!

3. Liz says:

So gorgeous! I love the monochromatic color scheme, and it sort of looks like a celtic knot. It’s stunning.

4. angelhw56 says:

Absolutely gorgeous!!

5. I absolutely love this quilt 🙂

6. mary says:

What a gorgeous quilt! Nice job.

7. admcmasters says:

Oh, the lessons we learn with each quilt! I’ll bet from now on you measure your top and your lining before loading them. Your quilt is lovely and the quilting enhances it so win-win and yay you!

8. These purples are gorgeous together! I like what you did on the dark purple inner border. It looks like lattice, feathers look good too!

9. Deb says:

Oh someone is going to be delighted to receive this as a bday gift!! “Now pat yourself on the back for me “… well done friend!!!😀

10. norma says:

Looks gorgeous – I love the purple.
    Hope your husband recovers very soon.

11. Meg says:

Great job, the quilt looks fabulous. Feathers are the benchmark of quilting, IMHO, and you only get better with practise.

12. kathyreeves says:

You are so brave…I’m trying to build up enough nerve to do feather on ONE splendid Sampler block, and you did a whole quilt!!

Liked by 1 person

1. I figured I might as well give it a try!

Liked by 1 person

13. Beautiful quilt. Purple is my favorite color.
    Hope your home improvement doesn’t take as long as my sister’s kitchen improvement. A four week project has turned into a 7 month drama.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yikes!!! They said it would be about a week to 10 days once they get the materials in and then the glass is measured last so it sounds like it’s going to be 3 months. I’m just glad we have another shower!

Liked by 1 person

14. Lovely, but my birthday’s not till August, so you’ve got time to work it out….Love the purples! p.s. shingles is caused by chicken pox (I’m not sure about the measles connection on it)….tough news about the shower. I hope you still get a better one;-)

Liked by 1 person

1. Haha! You are so right about the chicken pox; I’ve had both measles and chicken pox and had “misremembered” which one it came from.

Liked by 1 person

15. Gorgeous!! Aw man, rotten news about the shower.
    Too much work for 3 inches, huh??

Liked by 2 people

1. I figured you would like the quilt since it’s lots ‘o purple!

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh yes!! So very pretty!